The Compelling Why Accomplishments
The Compelling Why has been able to accomplish the following with your help and support:
- Produced 23 Success Sessions reaching more than 3,300 students from Carrollton-Farmers Branch, Dallas, Grand Prairie and Richardson Independent School Districts and Uplift Education and KIPP Academy public charter school networks.
- Recruited over 45 panelists and industry volunteers to help reinforce Compelling Why seminar themes.
- Provided opportunities for Compelling Why students to participate in unique life enrichment and volunteer opportunities:
- Sponsored students that attended University of Texas at Dallas summer academic and experiential camps.
- Through our partnership with Set For College, Compelling Why students have been awarded scholarships for comprehensive college prep services including college advising, financial aid resources, and test prep. These scholarships serve to help students navigate the college admissions process and help them become more competitive applicants.
TheCompelling Why Testimonials
“The Compelling Why series has done a great deal for the scholars of Uplift Heights Preparatory. It has been truly awe-inspiring to see our scholars, both male and female, walk away from these seminars feeling empowered, motivated, but most importantly a sense of belonging in the realm of success. Having the opportunity to fellowship with and observe local young men and women of success that look like our scholars, and many times come from similar backgrounds, has moved our kids in incredible ways. The moderator, and panel of guests for the last four years have been nothing short of magnificent. Though often Vice Presidents of banks, CEOs of fortune 500 companies, and all-around big shots, the panelists' discussions are fraught with relatability, sincerity and realness.”
“The messaging throughout the program has always been genuine, meaningful, and relevant for the age group. Heights is honored to have had our scholars participate in the Compelling Why Series for the last four years, and we look forward to the opportunity to attend many more in the future!”
Dean of College Prep at Uplift Heights Preparatory
“Working with young minority males and females is a complete joy that also has specific challenges. As their educator my voice becomes numbing as a school year progresses, and the impact of my messages fade due to the frequency of our interactions. There came a point where my students truly believed that I knew they were full of potential, yet they were tired of hearing it from me, directly.”
“The Compelling Why answers this call each year for us. I describe it as a “culture and identity restoring career fair” of sorts! With such occupationally diverse panelists at each seminar, my students are exposed to the limitless world of opportunities that awaits them. The most powerful piece of it all is that the stories of struggle and overcoming adversity are told from perspectives the exact same as their own.”
Dean of Culture – Upper School| KIPP Truth Academy
“Compelling Why Seminars provide capstone experiences for our AVID scholars. Through participation in the seminars Richardson ISD AVID students of promise receive messages of hope. Students return to their campus renewed, refreshed, and re-energized to start using the resources provided (AVID) and begin the process of unlocking the door of success through education.”
AVID District Director